Sunday, April 4, 2010

All 5 together:
And my artist statement:

I believe that everyone has their own secret crusades. Though we all want to know the meaning of life and why bad things happen, we must all come to grips with the fact that life is a battle to appear normal while slowly dying and facing the possibility of death. As such, my artwork highlights the relationship between illness and religion. Though my pieces reflect personal struggles and intense pain, they are not void of joy and happiness. Through my art, I would like to remind myself and my viewers, that our crusades are all that we have. Our religion calls us even in times of pain and suffering. While for some, religion can bring comfort, for others it can cause great turmoil. We all struggle and when we struggle, our faith is affected.

The use of text in my work draws the viewer in and repeats the thoughts of my subjects. Once pulled in, the viewer is confronted with a subject they might not otherwise address. Entranced by text or enticing imagery, the viewer slips into the controversy that I've created unwillingly – just as they would be forced into a time of struggle in their own life. Death, pain and sorrow are not subjects we want to focus on, but we all do. Although religion can make those times more painful by punishing us, it can also bring us joy.

The battles we have with religion are on going cycles. I believe that all of us struggle to hold our faith during hard times. This body of work showcases the cycle that religion plays during our darkest hours. Although the cycle resolves, our faith is always being tested, and we must continue fighting for a deeper understanding of our faith.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Looks good Kim. Great show!